Wednesday, July 16, 2014

What to Say, What to Say?

There are those I know who would never believe this, but sometimes I am at a loss for words.  I can't think of anything to write about that might interest you, so I'm going to be lazy and share a couple of art journal pages I just did last week.

One thing to note about the art journal pages is that I am playing around with things and it's not intended to be 'great art' - whatever that is.  

First I have a page that was completed as part of a 'naive art' challenge on my Art Challenge FB group.  You can find out more about 'naive art' (also known as 'primitive' or 'outsider') here.

This became purely fun because I really wanted to play.  The background of the page is a lovely purple color that I created for another journal page.  I had leftover paint so I used it up on the journal page

I'd wanted to play with making flowers out of the zillions of shapes I've cut out over the years because I always meant to do something with them.  I glued some together to create the flowers, added a little dot of paper in the middle, then cut out tiny, tiny little strips from various papers to create the stems and leaves.  To make it even more fun, the flower on the left has colors not at all usually found in a flower.

This is something else I'd like to recreate on a larger canvas somehow.

You'll notice the sunflower paper in the upper left corner - I decided that I wanted to make a sun but not a traditional sun.  I had a doily showing sunflowers so I thought that'd be a fun way to do it.

Another journal page again started with left over paint, then I added stencil impressions just to make some kind of abstract.  I'm not sure if I'm going to do anything else with this page.  I kind of like it as it is.

The final journal page I want to share with you also started with the same leftover paint as above, and I had in mind to continue with the stencils.  Except that I kept doing it 'wrong' (although there is really nothing 'wrong' in art, people say.)  I just kept blotching the stencils, creating blobs of paint that, to me at least, looked terrible.

So I decided to save it by gluing vintage papers.  Great, wonderful.  Then I discovered that I'd glued the papers upside down.  

Whoops!  So what could I do to salvage things?

I decided to add two women's images.  And I've titled it "She looked at the world upside down."  This is another that I may recreate as I like the concept quite a lot.

There you have it.  For a day when I'm speechless, I've still written a lot.

later,
lin

1 comment:

  1. I love hearing and seeing your process - so any old time you feel speechless, bring it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and thanks for commenting - I'm always interested in what you think. Feel free to offer suggestions for future posts