Monday, May 19, 2014

Now the Consequences are Intended

I hope that you found the humor in yesterday's blog post about my little adventure trying to do art in 90 minutes, and the minor catastrophe that resulted.  Once I washed the paint off myself, I had to laugh about it.

Isn't that what art is all about?  Not taking oneself seriously?

And I was reminded of this when I got to the gallery and encountered the figure drawing/painting class that's held there on Saturdays.  

I was setting up my stuff to work on while I did my shift, and smiled and waved at those breaking down their easels and putting away their paints.  As one man walked by, he glanced at me and asked "Do you draw?"  I replied, "No, I don't."  His response - "Oh, you're not an artist then."  Me - "Oh yes, I do collage. I work with paper."  He lost interest in the conversation and just said, "Oh - collage" and walked away.

Now I have a chip on my shoulder about my even considering myself an artist, so this sort of conversation doesn't help.  However, I was still chuckling to myself about the morning's events and didn't let it disturb me too much.  And I was reassured by friends later, after posting about the incident on Facebook, that the guy was indeed a snob.

But I digress.   I want to show you how the art challenge ended.

This is the lovely gray - pink background I came up with.  I know, you can't see the pink, but trust me - it's there.

And these were the squares I had to choose from originally


Now, yesterday, I had posted a particular pattern that I'd decided on 

But I changed my mind when I looked at the squares again.  I decided to eliminate the dark pink and black square.  I also decided to decrease the number of squares and change the arrangement around, and so I came up with this final version


After I did the scan, I realized that the squares are not attached evenly - some are crooked.  That can be fixed as I only attached them with tape.  I didn't try the arrangement in reverse, or horizontal as I saw this and just said, YES - this is what I want.

I may end up changing the squares around, or even use different patterned papers, but for now I'm satisfied with what I have done.

Doing this project has convinced me that I need to do more geometric pattern and shape work because I really did enjoy it.  I just have to figure out how to keep things in straight lines - although allowing a little "offness" might be good too....

What do you think?

later,
lin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and thanks for commenting - I'm always interested in what you think. Feel free to offer suggestions for future posts